Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fluffy Seal Pups

I'm back with another polar animal -- Harp seals! But for our craft, we made the pups. These fuzzy Whitecoats are so cute!
Here's how we did it. I printed out a coloring page of a seal pup (found here) and had the kids use a black sharpie to color in the eyes and nose.
Then they used a paintbrush to apply glue to the seal pup.
I brought in fake snowflakes that I found at Michaels last year,
and the kids sprinkled the flakes onto their seal pup.
When it was covered, they pushed down on it a bit using their palm and then shook off the extra snowflakes. And their seal pup was born:
Some even colored in a blue sky and a breathing hole. Seal pups like to wait at these holes for mama to come up!

And here's an unrelated picture I wanted to share with you. One of my kids drew a picture of me.
I said, "That's me?!" and he said, "Yeah. You're having a bad hair day." Oh my, these kiddos sure know how to make my day ;o)

Fun Fact: A mother harp seal uses its sense of smell to distinguish its baby from all the others.

No comments: